Friday, November 20, 2009

Activities and Honors (Sect. 3)

After our somewhat comical “What Not To Wear” workshop, we moved on to more intense workshops. I asked Scott Winterroth, an alumnus, to come and talk to the group about press releases and media alerts. I also gave presentations on what makes a successful portfolio and the importance of web blogging. I would have to say that one of the most exciting projects I worked on was setting up the grand opening of Fushi Yami Hibachi n’ Sushi in Dekalb. I kept in close ties with the owner and worked meetings between he and our account executives. It was very successful and the restaurant continues to thrive today! I also set up two very successful agency visits (Edelman & LC Williams). We began to close up the year with our annual “Rock 4 Life” benefit concert. This is the one event NIU PRSSA puts together from scratch. There are no limits in the where and when, and the profits go to whichever non-profit the group chooses (in 2009 the beneficiary was the “Forward Together Forward” memorial fund). The concert raised over $4,000 for the charity. My final project was presenting to the PRSA Suburban Chicagoland Chapter. I was the student perspective of social media, and opened for Jassen Strokosch (a social media guru). Rebuilding the organization was a lot of work, however it was extremely rewarding. I was chosen to win the George M. Crowson (Outstanding Senior in PRSSA) Award, but it was so much more than that. I had gained leadership experience I could not receive in a classroom. I communicated with my peers in a professional manner and solved issues the organization came across, not as a college student, but as a young adult. I have met lifelong friends and mentors and found an inner professional strength I never knew existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment